[Chugalug] Laptop SMTP server vs UUCP over TCP

Benjamin Stewart stewartbenjamin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 19:10:42 UTC 2013

It's a great idea, but I think you're in for several challenges there. I'm
sure folks more knowledgeable than I will weigh in, but here's my lay
understanding:

- For the receiving end, your SMTP server has to ALWAYS be on and
connected. Otherwise messages will bounce. That's probably going to be a
problem with your laptop!

- For the sending end, you may find that many/most public servers are going
to refuse to relay mail from a dynamic IP address assigned to (e.g.
ComCast) customer networks. There's probably a lot more spam than ham
coming from those dynamic addresses.

If you can overcome those challenges, have at it, and tell us what you did!

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Darren Breidigan <
la.tete.chauve.yeti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Laptop SMTP server vs UUCP over TCP
>
> either/or with local.host
>
> I am looking into the cutting the web mail services out of the picture and
> using
> my laptop to directly receive and send emails.
>
> Has anybody done this?
>
> Darren
>
> --
> "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it."
>                                     -George Santayana

                              Benjamin Stewart

                               <o(((><