[Chugalug] Goggles iron grip on Android

Wil Wade willm.wade at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 11:00:33 UTC 2013

I cannot say I care much about the manufacturers as long as they still have
the ability to build and sell non-Android phones. Really what is the
problem here is that the apps on the device [which are really not Android
personally] are Google's. They keep talking about how it is awful that
Google took the Android Calendar app away and made a Google Calendar app.

Guess what? Anyone can still write an Open Source calendar app. The great
part is that every piece that Google chooses to make a non-"Android"
version of, you can also go and make an Open Source version of and even get
it in the Play Store (Unlike another company). While I like Google using
open source licenses for their code, this is not as bad as Ars makes it out
to be.

However, I really want to see Sailfish and FirefoxOS take off. (Ubuntu
Phone? Nah.)