[Chugalug] [OT] Label yourself a 'Hacker', self-incriminate

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 20:45:39 UTC 2013

I understand the definitions of "hacker". Dan Lyke and I once had a company
in Chattanooga named Hacker for Hire (it was even a registered
corporation). But I've also worked for the government and understand that
even the appearance of something bad can have negative repercussions. And
that appearance is commonly judged by clueless bureaucrats and politicians.
McCarthyism was probably the most extreme example we've seen, but it's
hardly the only one.

And, working for the government, in a security-related context, usually
involves giving up many constitutional rights.