[Chugalug] [OT] Label yourself a 'Hacker', self-incriminate

David White dwrudy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 19:47:13 UTC 2013

But the fact remains that this sets a very dangerous precedent. A "hacker"
is not necessarily a bad person doing illegitimate stuff. Just do a Google
search for "White Hat Hackers" and you'll get a bazillion results,
including prominent names and legitimate news articles.

1 of the definitions on Google ("define: hacker") even states the following:
*an enthusiastic and skillful computer programmer or user.*
*
*
(Although admittedly, the first definition that comes up is less than
complimentary)

The point remains, though, that too many people - and now a court- has
assumed (without much evidence) that being a self proclaimed "hacker"
automatically means a bad thing.

That is absolutely false.

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Eric Wolf <ebwolf at gmail.com> wrote:

> When you work for Uncle Sam, in any capacity, you have to be careful how
> you market yourself. And if you work anywhere near national security, you
> need to be extra careful especially in light of Snowden and Manning.
>
> Just another reason to avoid Government contracts.
>
> -Eric

> Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734
>

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Stephen Kraus <ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> http://www.digitalbond.com/blog/2013/10/22/call-yourself-a-hacker-lose-your-4th-amendment-rights/
>>
>> Holy crap, so if you are a 'hacker' in the hardware sense or software
>> sense, they are trying to set the precedent that you have basically
>> incriminated yourself.
>>
>> As both a hardware hacker and software hacker, this scares me beyond
>> reason.

David White
Founder & CEO
*