[Chugalug] OT: esxi 5.5 and winxp 32

Matt Keys mk6032 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 18 15:47:23 UTC 2013

Yeah yeah... I know it's outdated/unsupported but winxp still serves me
well as a small vm to run stuff on that I can't in my usual linux
environment, e.g. vsphere client. It was quick 'n easy to install /
reinstall and you didn't have to contact MS for a new key each time.
 From time to time I need to show one of our engineers or software devs
a particular bug or configuration scenario and this was the best/most
flexible way I found to accomplish that. I'd just temporarily poke a
hole for them in the firewall for rdp and they'd connect directly to the
winxp vm and launch the vsphere client from there. 5.5 has totally
screwed that plan up...

I'm thinking about just blowing away one of the esxi hosts and standing
up kvm, that way they could just ssh in with x forwarding and launch
virt-manager if they want/need to. The downside being virt-manager
doesn't have all the snazzy features yet. Maybe it's time to give
eucalyptus or oVirt another shot.