[Chugalug] OT: esxi 5.5 and winxp 32

Nick Smith nick at nicksmith.us
Fri Oct 18 15:09:07 UTC 2013

First, why are you running windows xp? ;-)
If microsoft is dropping it, why would anyone else still support it?
Second, the snazzy features that you wont see in the real client you
wouldnt see anyway without a license.
They will always have the hypervisor for free, vsphere/vcenter comes in
when you need centralized management of all your hosts. (and lots of other
features)
They are headed in the web client direction and ive heard that they will
eventually do away with the standard client (which i personally hate, the
web client is slow) and there are plugins that arent ready for the web
client yet, update manager is one of them.

I would assume if they ever discontinue the standard client, they would
roll out a web client version for the free hypervisor, you have to have
some way to manage your host. I dont see that as pushing people to buy
vsphere/vcenter.
They people that need its features will buy it anyway, or already have it.

They also just raised the host/vm restrictions in 5.5 for the linux vcenter
server appliance which runs postgres.
(no need for more MS and SQL licenses yay!)
http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2013/08/26/vsphere-5-5-nuggets-vcenter-server-appliance-limitations-lifted/

I cant comment on vmware reps, ive never spoken to one.