[Chugalug] OT: esxi 5.5 and winxp 32

Reed Gregory reed.gregory at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 23:37:07 UTC 2013

Well, you could get the either essentials bundle which are fairly
reasonable on price.  Another note on people using 5.5 in a stand-alone or
free version setup is that you should NOT upgrade the virtual hardware of
your virtual machines to version 10.  If you do then you can no longer edit
the virtual machine config using the client.  The 5.5 thick-client can not
edit virt-hw version 10.  It tells you to use vsphere web client.... which
if it is the free version, you don't have access to.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Matt Keys <mk6032 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just a heads up that I discovered winxp 32 bit isn't compatible with the
> new vsphere 5.5 client. I'm pretty sure it's because of
> http://kb.vmware.com/kb/**2049143 <http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2049143> , but
> that refers to the real vsphere server whereas I'm connecting at the host
> level with the client. This is the error I get : http://www.mattkeys.net/*
> *winxp32_esxi55.png <http://www.mattkeys.net/winxp32_esxi55.png> . The
> same machine using 5.1 client worked just fine, there are no
> network/firewall/av issues to note. My clients installed on Win 7 and 8
> machines are working fine. Also note the "you won't see all the new snazzy
> features of 5.5 with the real client" message. It seems like they're
> pushing you to the web client, which requires a vsphere server
> (standard/enterprise) license does it not?

Reed Gregory
reed.gregory at gmail.com