[Chugalug] decrypting shortened URLs

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 17 18:45:18 UTC 2013

Quoting Dan Lyke <danlyke at flutterby.com>:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 6:16 AM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Anyone know of a good tool to un-shorten a shortened URL? I'm
>> starting to see more and more spam that has shortened URLs in
>> it (mostly twitter links)
>
> Some of this depends on what redirect strategy the URL shortener uses,
> but for t.co (Twitter) links, if you have Perl and the LWP Perl
> library installed, you can do something like:
>
> HEAD -S http://t.co/gSfaYVNPp5 | grep HEAD
>
> to show the redirect chain (in this case a 301 to bit.ly which sends a
> 301 to go.sendgrid.com which returns a 200 OK)

Wow! That is a lot of work to obfuscate a URL, but it wouldn't
surprise me that a spammer would do that. :) I'm looking for something
I can use on my Winders box at work. They're pretty paranoid about
what sites they let us go to... no Facebook or other time-wasting
sites and no car sites, either. :(