[Chugalug] Verizon Data Usage metrics

David White dwrudy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 21:55:22 UTC 2013

Apparently they said I used 1.3gb of data in the last billing cycle (not
1-3gb which would be a wide range of "possible amount of data used").

Something still smells fishy though: According to Settings -> Data Usage,
I've never used over 300mb within a 30-day period before, and according to
those same metrics, this past month has been near the peak of amount of
data I've ever used on the phone.

When I login to my account on Verizon under my cell phone number, for this
billing cycle (ending in 9 days from today), as of 4:30pm this afternoon,
I've only used 0.31GB of data.

I'm taking screen shots of everything, and we'll be logging into the master
account shortly to review the data usage from last billing cycle according
to Verizon's website.

Either way, great comments all around. I'm almost done building in a VPN
server (running OpenVPN) on one of my CentOS boxes facing the public
internet, but am running into a couple of weird routing / firewall issues I
haven't been able to get past.

Once I figure that out, I'll connect my phone to that for a perpetual
connection, and I'll also start using that for my self whenever I'm on
public Wifi.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM, David White <dwrudy at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's exactly what I'm using to monitor data usage. It has never shown
> more than 300mb before.
>
> I'm going to call Verizon later. My brother (lawyer in the family, not IT
> guy) has talked to them a bit, but Im going to talk to them from an IT
> perspective and get them to explain their reasoning to me. If it doesn't
> fly, I will gather all the data I can, and my brother and I will be having
> a chat. We're on the same family plan.
> On Oct 14, 2013 3:48 PM, "Tim Youngblood" <timyoungblood at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure of the version nor broken facade thanks to Samsung you may be
>> running on your S3 but...for me on my S4 Play Edition (pure Android) I have
>> a way to monitor battery and data usage as well as set limits for the
>> latter. Settings > Data Usage
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM, David White <dwrudy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Verizon is claiming that I used 1-3GB of data last month. As  network
>>> engineer, I know that's not possible, and I know that I've never come close
>>> to using 1-3 GB of data on my phone.
>>>
>>>  Does anyone know how Verizon calculates their data usage, and what I
>>> can do to go about monitoring / calculating my data usage for hard
>>> evidence?
>>>
>>> This is a Galaxy S3, not rooted.
>>>
>>>  I know I haven't used that much data, but according to Verizon's
>>> built-in data usage app, I've used less than 200mb (aside from the fact
>>> that I have a good idea of how much data 1GB equals, and know I didn't come
>>> close to using that much).
>>>
>>> --
>>> David White
>>> Founder & CEO
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *Develop CENTS *
>>> Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting
>>> Nonprofit Organizations Worldwide
>>> http://developcents.com
>>> 423-693-4234

David White