[Chugalug] FastCGI vs Apache's PHP engine ?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Oct 11 17:19:27 UTC 2013

On Oct 11, 2013, at 12:04 PM, Rod <rod-lists at epbfi.com> wrote:

> Well I'm leaning nginx which has to use FastCGI or PHP-FPM.
> One site I consulted thinks it is more secure and positively hates .htaccess logic.
> But mutual friends of us both say thats crazy.
> Personally I'm Tabla Rosa on the subject.

Most of what people now do in .htaccess files is a kludge for shared hosting apache configs. Nasty klutzy ways to do things for people on a shared web server with the actual apache configs controlled by others.

For anything beyond a normal website/application, you should be running your own server/configs/etc.. for general purpose website and small scale applications: it's a religious difference that doesn't really matter.

And I've seen the hairiest nastiest stuff ever done in .htacess files with redirect logic..