[Chugalug] FastCGI vs Apache's PHP engine ?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Oct 11 14:53:33 UTC 2013

> What are the pros and cons of each approach?

PHP as an Apache module gives you the ability to modify apache headers,
which makes doing basic auth, browser cache and cookie manipulation,
redirects and such a little easier. I haven't played with FastCGI in a
long time, but it used to be used for running things only as a CGI, wich
is theoretcially safer/easier for the hosting provider which is why 1and1
and some other cheaper high volume web hosts use it on the cheap accounts.

Disclaimer: I haven't had to extract something from 1and1 in a few years
because of this, so maybe they have changed. But they used to.