[Chugalug] OT: CB/FRS/HAM for road-tripping

Rod rod-lists at epbfi.com
Thu Oct 10 20:04:04 UTC 2013

None the licenses require morse anymore.
And ham if you go far enough in licenses will give you broad spectrum.
Beginning tech will give you VHF, UHF, some microwave and I think some 10  
meter (HF). Check that last part.

In the midwest 2 meter/145MHz band carries far.
Now 6 meter can be fun.  ole 6 sometimes acts like vhf and sometimes he  
thinks he is HF. Just depends. And a tech can use that.

I find out what replacing the icom 706 these days and put that in.
But walkies will do. The come in tri band and quad bands these days.

ps you would be surprise where we have repeaters(Disney World, Space).

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:52:17 -0400, Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com>  

> Nancy and I are having fun prepping the "Shooting Star" (the RV's  
> name...)
> for some serious road tripping, and I know that man of the list members  
> are HAM's, so I'm asking:
> What is currently useful for popping in the RV for general radio use
> in this modern day? I grew up on CB radio's in my Dad's cars.. and back  
> in the 1970's it was a useful thing to have on the road. What fills that  
> gap now? Is a CB worth popping into the command center? Or would an FRS  
> walky-talkie tossed in mix work just as well? Or should we bit the  
> bullet and becomes HAM's?  Or have smart phones replaced it all?
> _______________________________________________
> Chugalug mailing list
> Chugalug at chugalug.org
> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug

Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

More information about the Chugalug mailing list