[Chugalug] OT: CB/FRS/HAM for road-tripping

Stephen Kraus ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 17:08:40 UTC 2013

Well, if you are going to do HAM, I'd suggest a computer based transceiver.
I wish that the ARC-190 HF system was commercially available.

> Depends. You can setup an HF repeater at your house and run data over HF
> giving you immense range, not a fast uplink but it works. HF/HAM still has
> its advantages over Cellular.

Got a Wilson 12" GSM/GPRS antenna and amplifier coming for better cell
coverage, and a high gain external USB Wifi adapter (Alfa AWUS036NHR -
High-Gain 2000mw 2W 802.11 B/G/N) with an omni and a directional (works on
Linux, Mac and Winders)

http://www.kurumirakuru.com/**2013/09/my-cellular-data-**setup.html<http://www.kurumirakuru.com/2013/09/my-cellular-data-setup.html>
Is similar to what I just ordered, we'll see how it works.

I'm hoping to be far enough away from the house a HAM repeater would not
work. And this solves my data connection needs.

Just wondering if there was still much use to a CB on the road. I remember
chatter about gas stations, police, things to see and women with sexy
voices asking for a 10-36 (what time is it) as well as some "help I'm
stuck" calls. I didn't know if such things still happened on the road.

On the geeky side: Am setting up my Asus Tablet as my road server..
with a "piratebox/librarybox" style wide open share for files, music, etc.
with a wide open Wifi.. It'll be interesting to see if anyone else ever
connects to it.