[Chugalug] OT: CB/FRS/HAM for road-tripping

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Thu Oct 10 13:52:17 UTC 2013

Nancy and I are having fun prepping the "Shooting Star" (the RV's name...)
for some serious road tripping, and I know that man of the list members
are HAM's, so I'm asking:

What is currently useful for popping in the RV for general radio use
in this modern day? I grew up on CB radio's in my Dad's cars.. and back in
the 1970's it was a useful thing to have on the road. What fills that gap
now? Is a CB worth popping into the command center? Or would an FRS
walky-talkie tossed in mix work just as well? Or should we bit the bullet
and becomes HAM's?  Or have smart phones replaced it all?