[Chugalug] Have you tried KDE lately?

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Wed Oct 9 17:59:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 13:35:42 -0400
Randy Yates <lpcustom at gmail.com> wrote:
> CLI is great unless you need to visualize something you are working
> on. For instance, OpenGL games would be difficult to write using
> nothing but the CLI. Web design is another work related aspect that
> you still need a GUI for, just so you can see how your site is
> looking to anyone visiting it.

But I think the point is that the widget set of the larger windowing
system is largely irrelevant. I start programs that open windows,
I alt-tab between those windows, and use those programs. I have a
couple-pixel wide border on them for resizing them, and a menu bar for
grabbing and dragging them, but beyond that...

I've been a GTK widget set user for years, so I kind of headed the Gnome
direction desktop-wise. I use Xubuntu, which tends to drag in
Gnome components, but frankly if I could wipe all traces of the Gnome
keyring manager, of the Gnome inter-app communications bus management
stuff, of all of the rest off that Gnome crap off my computer, I'd be
happier.

I suspect that I have a similar beef with KDE. The Qt widget set? Yeah,
sure, widget sets are fine. KDE itself? Don't care.

I'd be as happy with FVWM2 managing my workspace and applications. In
fact I'd probably be happier, it's just a pain in the ass to get my
distro to drop all of that extraneous crap, and I'd have to do it again
next time I upgraded my packages.

So I tell it to use Metacity or XFCE or whatever "lightweight" window
manager it wants, try to shut off as much of the bars and pop-ups and
notification scrollers and whatever as I can, and live with the CPU and
memory drain.

With a sigh.

Dan