[Chugalug] internal DNS

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sun Oct 6 21:48:13 UTC 2013

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013, David White wrote:
> If you decide to go this route, feel free to hit me up with any questions. I've never taken this exact approach before, but have used BIND a
> number of different times for different scenarios, as you know. :)

Run Bind for real DNS servers that face the internet and will be maintained carefully.
For internal networks: DNSMasq. It was designed to do exactly what he is
needing, and allows you to "lie" about certain domains and FQDN depending
on the source ip address.

ie:  if from internal:  voip.foo.com  is 192.168.1.10
      if from guest network:   voip.foo.com is 192.168.99.10

Useful for dev websites and all kinds of things.