[Chugalug] coupons.com: major web/linux fail

Rod rod-lists at epbfi.com
Sun Oct 6 19:01:28 UTC 2013

Just got off the phone with my sister in law. I was trying to help her
with coupons.com.
She is using a desktop with Peppermint OS, a linux distro that uses
chromium for a lot of things including web apps.

The site kept telling her it only supported certain browsers including
chrome.
So I tried to walk her thru changing user agent after I googled the
"chrome" user agent.
Didn't work. So I tried the site with Chrome proper on linux same effect.

I had her try to install firefox. Coupons.com let her in but then tried to
get her to install a .exe.
She gave up.

I sent a complaint and got reply just as I was firing up the mail client.
They must have these replys on standby.
Basically they don't support linux and few other things. Makes me wonder
what kind of spyware they are installing.

see attached below

Thanks for contacting Coupons.com Customer Support.  Our coupon-printing
technology is currently supported on the following computer operating
systems and web browsers:

Windows
Microsoft Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, Server 2003, and 2000 when used with
Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher (32-bit only), Mozilla Firefox, Google
Chrome, Apple Safari, Opera, and most MSN and AOL browsers.

MAC
Macintosh OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.7 (Lion), 10.6 (Snow Leopard),
Safari 5.0 or higher, Firefox 3.7 or higher, and Google Chrome.

Coupon printing is not supported on Linux, Chrome OS, Windows 98/ME,
WebTV, or virtual computing environments such as VMWare.   Also, the
coupon printer may not work with "beta" releases of supported browsers,
and is disabled in virtual computing environments.
Below is the link to the coupon that you can print at a later time where
you are able to install the coupon printer.
http://b.coupons.com/z.asp
Thank you for contacting us about this issue, we value your feedback. If
you have any additional questions or concerns, please reply to this
message so that we may assist you.

Thanks,

Customer Support
Coupons.com, Incorporated