[Chugalug] Silk Road and Bitcoins

Matt Keys mk6032 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 6 10:59:05 UTC 2013

I'm not saying what he did wasn't bad or illegal... what I'm saying is
the means doesn't fit the end result.

Who really gives a flip about outright scams on a darknet illegal
trading post? I could care less about folks buying drugs online. In
fact, I think it was a good idea as it beats the heck out of the
traditional gangs doing it and the resulting turf wars. If you take one
kingpin down there's *always* another one to take his/her spot (
http://www.leap.cc/). Consider this guy's replacement... he/she may not
be so "civil" and take care of the problem in person instead of hiring a
hitman.

As for the child porn cases, I agree that it's a horrible crime (more so
on the taking of the pictures/videos rather than the distribution of
them), but to intentionally insert malware to take control of a box, and
then turn around and inject more malware into the content the box serves
to uncover the locations of the visitors? These guys know better and
intentionally broke many, many laws to get the results they wanted. They
should be punished just as the hackers that've been caught from lulz,
anonymous, etc. This tells other cops that it's ok to break as many laws
as you need to as long as you get the result you're going after -- "If
the Feds can do it and not get in trouble, why can't I?"