[Chugalug] Silk Road and Bitcoins

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Sat Oct 5 14:35:54 UTC 2013

On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 06:42:30 -0400
Matt Keys <mk6032 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can someone explain to me how the FBI (or whatever gov 3 letter
> acronym) "seized" a Tor domain? The Tor DNS resolution is supposed to
> be distributed to where it never reveals the actual location, is it
> not?

They got to the server itself. Control the server, control what it
serves.

For Silk Road, it looks like they found the guy through other means.

For the other Tor related busts recently, they compromised one server
that delivered a JavaScript payload that exploited a vulnerability
to deliver a worm that hit another site simultaneous with the Tor
accesses, which gave them a correlatable IP address.

Which is further evidence that JavaScript is evil evil evil. But you
knew that.

Dan