[Chugalug] Silk Road and Bitcoins

Matt Keys mk6032 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 5 10:42:30 UTC 2013

Can someone explain to me how the FBI (or whatever gov 3 letter acronym)
"seized" a Tor domain? The Tor DNS resolution is supposed to be
distributed to where it never reveals the actual location, is it not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_%28anonymity_network%29>
As of Tor release 0.2.0.1-alpha, Tor includes its own DNS resolver,
which will dispatch queries over the mix network. This should close the
DNS leak and can interact with Tor's address mapping facilities to
provide the Tor hidden service (|.onion
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.onion>|) access to non-SOCKS-aware
applications.^[25]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_%28anonymity_network%29#cite_note-Tor_Changelog-25>

Servers configured to receive inbound connections only through Tor are
called hidden services. Rather than revealing a server's IP address (and
thus its network location), a hidden service is accessed through
itsonion address <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.onion>. The Tor network
understands these addresses and can route data to and from hidden
services, even to those hosted behindfirewalls
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_%28computing%29>ornetwork address
translators
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translator>(NAT), while
preserving the anonymity of both parties. Tor is necessary to access
hidden services.^[28]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_%28anonymity_network%29#cite_note-torproject-hidden-28>