[Chugalug] 4k / 8k video...

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sat Oct 5 10:39:44 UTC 2013

On Sat, 5 Oct 2013, Phil Shapiro wrote:
>     If 4K video looks a bit shabby to your eyes, 8K video is coming.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGD84vkD_mE
>
>       8K monitors are yet to be developed, though.

To be on topic: I assume most of these displays and even camera's are
running some type of *nix based OS.

---------------------------------------------rambling:

I can't find it again, I've looked, but a favorite science fiction short
story of mine (<10 pages?) started with a guy walking into a room with a
bucket and a paintbrush, and painting on a self-assembling LED-ish screen.
As it started to dry he cut off 8 feet from a ribbon and pressed it along
one edge and plugged a little box into it. The nano-particles saw the
power and control ribbon and everything auto-aligned and interfaced.
In a few minutes, he had a 8' x 12' screen (or whatever the wall size was)
of high resolution.

For some reason, this part of a bigger story that I have completely
forgotten is stuck in my head, and I can see that (given power and heat
distribution limits) it is even theoretically possible with a little
nano-tech or maybe just some micro-tech.

I also remember that in this future vision, almost everything was painted
with it, broadcasting advertisements and loglow (logo glow) everywhere.