[Chugalug] Road Server Project

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Oct 4 14:12:13 UTC 2013

Nancy and I bought a new RV yesterday, the next project will be turning
a netbook/notebook into an access device and server.

My goal is that it'd provide a consistent Wifi interface and network
inside of the RV for a tablet/phone and a couple of laptops.
I've been collecting gear including a high range wifi antenna (a
directional and an omni) - the goal is to merge a combination of WiFi
that I can suck (legally and with permission) and one (or more)
cell uplinks.

I've done some googling, and found some commercial "all in one" boxes for
this, but me, being me, would love to roll my own on Linux.

My questions for the group:

   Am I insane? (probably)

   Is this a Raspberry Pi-ish project (That might be fun)

   Anyone seen any magic for managing multiple changing upstream
connections or am I having fun with iptables and routeing commands via
some perl scripts (which I know how to do..)?  It's been a while since I
did these types of things.

--Mike--