[Chugalug] Linux on Curriculum at Chattanooga College

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Oct 2 03:55:41 UTC 2013

Partially thanks to Daniel Applegate, I got roped into
being on the advisory board at Chattanooga College (formerly ECPC).

Ok. Stop Laughing. 3+ months ago that would have been appropriate
snickering. Things have changed.

Terry Parker took over a few months ago and has completely
rebuilt a jobs skill focused IT program. That means it's mostly
MS-centric, with apropos certifications (A+/CompTIA/Microsoft/Cisco..)
and focus as well as a two year Associates Degree. All new intructors, new
computers, new labs.. an amazing transformation in about 3 months with
more on the way.

It also includes Linux (Redhat RHCE focused) in the curriculum
as a major chunk of time! Mostly as a server it seems... but it's awesome
to see it blocked out in the curriculum formerly.

Which brings me to: NICE FACILITIES FOR MEETINGS/EVENTS

Terry would like to get more cross-pollination of the students
with local IT-centric groups, and offers some meeting/classroom
space as bait. There has been some talk about a pseudo-formal
educational/presentational meeting or more (a half or full day)
this might be good for both groups. Of course, his interest is bringing in
fresh perspectives, energy and people for his students as well as
potential students or people wanting certifications.
We get a chance to share Linux/FOSS/etc..  and infect these soon to be
corporate M$-Lackeys with a subversive strain of intelligence.

Terry is:  Terry.Parker at epbfi.....  (you can guess the rest)
if anyone wants to take him up on that offer and contact him about
availability.

--Mike--