[Chugalug] [OT] "What does the H stand for" WAS:Passwords

Robert A. Kelly III bluethegrappler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 19:43:11 UTC 2013

I was really confused here as I have never actually heard "Jesus H.
Christ" and wondered where on earth the "H" came from. Wikipedia, as
usual, was enlightening. Apparently, it derives from the use of the
first three letters of the Greek form of the name Jesus, Ἰησοῦς. This
abbreviation is often seen transliterated as IHS, but alternately it can
be JHC, based on an alternate transliteration of iota and the lunate
form of sigma. This was apparently taken to be a monogram, leaving the
uninformed wondering what the H stood for.