[Chugalug] NAS

William Roush william.roush at roushtech.net
Fri Nov 29 20:47:44 UTC 2013

For other options that aren't FreeNAS:

NexentaStor will get you 18TB free and is one of the higher performing
ZFS appliances.

napp-it runs on various ZFS systems (omniOS recommended core though).
However the UI gives me ulcers.

There is always ZFS on Linux, though if I was going through that effort
I'd just run with one of the Illumos systems (fork of the OpenSolaris line).

I'll probably be going FreeNAS on my homelab, though I'll just be
serving NFS/iSCSI mounts to ESXi boxes, so the plugins are useless to me.

NexentaStor: http://nexentastor.org/
Napp-IT: http://www.napp-it.org/index_en.html
Illumos: http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/illumos+Home

It really depends on what you need, outright speed? OpenSolaris
derivatives win hands-down, then FreeBSD, then Linux. Stability
generally goes in that order too due to exposure. Run a lot of Linux
stacks and want to keep a homogeneous environment? ZFS on Linux it is.

William Roush
william.roush at roushtech.net

http://www.roushtech.net/blog/