[Chugalug] big 'un

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 00:35:42 UTC 2013

The first computer I used for extended periods of time was a Tandy
TRS-80... I don't know the model.  I know it was a black and green monitor
with 2 built in 5 1/4" floppy drives and it ran BASIC.

I was 6 or 7 years old - I was recently in a car accident and I broke my
leg, and I wasn't able to go to school for a few months.  We got a tutor
who would come over and teach me.  She liked me and thought I was "gifted"
so she brought her computer and taught me the basics of BASIC, so I was
writing my own "Choose your own adventure" games.*  I never learned to
program anything graphical.  But I do remember playing Nibbles and Gorillas.

* ====Example of Chad's BASIC Games for Chad====

10 PRINT "You see two doors.  Do you want to:"
20 PRINT  "(1) Open the door on the left (2) Open the door on the right (3)
Do nothing?"
30 INPUT "Type 1, 2, or 3", a$
40 IF a$=1 THEN PRINT "There was a hungry tiger, you are dead." GOTO 100
50 IF a$=2 THEN PRINT "There was a beautiful lady, you are dead." GOTO 100
60 IF a$=3 THEN PRINT "You never leave the room, you are dead." GOTO 100
70 ELSE PRINT "INVALID RESPONSE"
80 GOTO 30
100 END

=====End Example====

† I have no idea if that's right or not.  I just spent 15 minutes googling
to try and make that look like I had some idea what I was talking about.

*- Chad W. Smith*