[Chugalug] wireless routers

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Fri Nov 22 19:50:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Dave Brockman <dave at brockmans.com> wrote:
> The software is a little flakey on Windows.  I would love to find
> out these issues are not replicated while running Linux :)

It's written in Java, so expect some flakiness.... But seriously,
haven't had any problems yet with the controller software, have had to
reboot one AP, but that was hooked up to a ratsnest of home-made wires
I haven't zip-tied in place yet, so that could have been my problem.

> That's good to know!  I can consider these for other deployments as
> well... haven't had the opportunity to test voice while switching yet!

It occurs to me that I might be able to do a little better by dialing
back the power on my house router so the switch to the workshop
happens sooner. My Dad has also expressed interest in a Skype capable
solution for his spread, which is several acres. If I could set him up
with WiFi handsets (apparently Verizon is choking his ability to run
Skype on his Android phone even on WiFi) and some directional APs on
various outbuildings he'd be intrigued...

> Products, and this UBT system (plus the multi-site controller configs)
> are apparently hanging with these guys the same as
> Meraki/Cisco/Rukkus, etc.  If they continue to innovate on the
> software side, and continue to offer the controller at no additional
> cost, they could really be onto something here....

Yeah, I'm super impressed by the "just works" factor, and that (unlike
the control panel for most ADSL2+ modem router combos) even though all
the knobs are there, for the most part you don't have to deal with the
complexity unless you really want to go there.

Dan