[Chugalug] [OT] Part time work

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Thu Nov 21 18:27:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, David White wrote:
> business are still pretty slow as I'm trying to grow the business, and I'm also worried
> things will slow down a little bit over the holidays and early part of next year.

In some businesses, the year is from October to January, and then they
coast... Historically, IT services world is dead from about now until
mid-January (or later) and then as budgets are (re)funded and todo lists
are made, everyone wants everything yesterday.

It's a good time to clean house, educate yourself, try new things..
(install Linux from scratch?).

It's important to have faith and understand the flow of the business world
you are in, and make this time enjoyable and useful "downtime" /
"vacation" (if you can afford it). Just a few years ago, I was welding
antenna mounting brackets for cell towers and working as a short order
cook a few mornings a week during one of these periods.

And in our work world right now.. we have several projects that will all
pop up in January wanting servers built, systems in place.. etc..
yesterday, so we are chilling.