[Chugalug] xp replacement

Robert A. Kelly III bluethegrappler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 04:58:16 UTC 2013

On 11/18/2013 11:37 AM, basic2point0 at gmail.com wrote:

> My parents have a PC that is a few years old. If I remember right, its a
> Sempron @ around 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM. They use for getting online, my mom
> plays PopCap style games, my dad has some games on Steam - Half-Life 2
> era and older. I’ve left it alone with XP because that's what they
> prefer, but they’ve been having software problems lately, mostly driver
> issues, and just want to be able to turn it on and use it.
>
> Anyhow.. Steam is looking pretty good on Linux, especially for the games
> my dad likes. There’s obviously plenty of games available that my mom
> would like. I just need to make the transition as easy as possible for
> them, since they don’t take change very well. I’m thinking Linux Mint
> with Cinnamon desktop, since its pretty similar to Windows. Any suggestions?

You might also consider KDE4, it rather resembles Windows in terms of
the default layout of the desktop and it is pretty simple to select
"Switch to Classic Menu Style" to get a "Start" menu that resembles XP
more closely. It's also pretty easy to add commonly used application
icons to the desktop, etc.