[Chugalug] Some Kiwi hacks the microwave with raspberry PI

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 01:53:39 UTC 2013

That is AMAZING!!!

Stephen, all the times I teased about your Linux toaster... I take it all
back.  If that's the type of thing you can do with hacking appliances...
SIGN ME UP!

To be fair, it wasn't just a RPi - he had to get a barcode scanner, a
speaker, some LEDs, and other stuff, too.  But still - the end result is
outstanding.

Scan a barcode to set the timer / power level.  WHY HAS NO ONE DONE THIS?

I just wanted a microwave with a SILENT mode, and maybe a custom "One Touch
cooking" button.  This thing... this is incredible.  I really hope he
kickstarters this thing or something.  A danged iOS app.  Crazy.

*- Chad W. Smith*