[Chugalug] Driving a 3-axis TTL stepper mounted router

Jason Brown lists at masterforge.com
Mon Nov 18 23:02:47 UTC 2013

On 11/18/13, 5:15 PM, Dan Lyke wrote:
> Yeah, I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of "if it needs timing that
> precise, give it a separate processor". I think I'll head towards grbl.
I agree, for the machines I have been working on I keep changing around
the hardware and re-wiring, so for now the ease of configuring a Linux
machine wins, eventually a nice dedicated controller is quite attractive
though. I use a Rambo board on my 3D printer and it works quite well.

I hear great things about this: https://github.com/synthetos/TinyG The
hardware has all the stepper drivers on board, but I am sure the code
could be easily adapted to drive external stepper controllers.
Especially if you are already an Atmel guy.

> So I guess the rest of the question is about generating gcode, and it
> sounds like just starting with Inkscape and learning is the right way
> to go. Might have to learn something that has real dimensioning at some
> point...

Gcode converters exist for just about any input format.
Here are some good ones:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Simple_LinuxCNC_G-Code_Generators
I also like CamBam and I am considering buying it.
http://www.cambam.info/  I would be happier if I could get the Linux
version to run.