[Chugalug] Driving a 3-axis TTL stepper mounted router

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Mon Nov 18 22:15:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:54:22 -0500
Jason Brown <lists at masterforge.com> wrote:
> At Chatt*lab <http://www.chattlab.org> we have a 4'x8' CNC router
> doing exactly that.

I think this one's got an active area about 18"x36". So a bit smaller.
He's got the driver boards to send TTL pulses to, and limit switches on
the platform. I think he's been using an Arduino (or a homebrew one,
we're both Atmel hackers), but I also think he's re-inventing the
motion control wheel, and I just want something that works.

>      Forget using USB to parallel ports, there is too much latency.
> Driving steppers needs precise timing and a real-time kernel in Linux
> or Windows XP.

Yeah, I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of "if it needs timing that
precise, give it a separate processor". I think I'll head towards grbl.

So I guess the rest of the question is about generating gcode, and it
sounds like just starting with Inkscape and learning is the right way
to go. Might have to learn something that has real dimensioning at some
point...

> I'm happy to discuss further, or show you the stuff I have running
> down at the lab sometime.

Love to, but I'm in Northern California and don't get back to 'nooga
that often. Could happen, though...

Dan