[Chugalug] Driving a 3-axis TTL stepper mounted router

Benjamin Stewart stewartbenjamin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 21:53:45 UTC 2013

The RepRap stuff feeds an Gcode to an Arduino via USB, but that software
may be too specialized to easily retool for a CnC machine - I don't know.

There are lots of different flavors of arduino firmware, and PC host
software, though, so those might be worth checking out. I have no idea
whether the RepRap firmwares use TTL on the back side, though.

My knowledge just comes from having used the stock software a little. Good
luck!

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Dan Lyke <danlyke at flutterby.com> wrote:

> Friend has a router mounted in a 3 axis table, with enough circuitry to
> drive steppers from TTL inputs. He was writing his own software to
> drive this thing.
>
> Friend is kind of a neat freak and doesn't like how much sawdust it
> generates in his garage. I have graciously offered my workshop.
>
> What I'd like is the quickest easiest toolchain possible to drive this
> thing from Linux.
>
> I note that Inkscape has a bunch of plug-ins which can generate gcode
> toolpaths.
>
> So I *think* that what I need is something that'll either give me a USB
> parallel port, or take USB in in a way that I can feed it gcode, and
> that'll give out TTL pulses.
>
> Right now the leading choice seems to be installing
> http://dank.bengler.no/-/page/show/5470_grbl on an Arduino 328.
> However, if anyone has experience on setting up the full toolchain for
> this, I'd like to save the couple of hundred bucks of wrong paths I'm
> about to go down...
>
> Anyone done this and got input?
>
> Dan

                              Benjamin Stewart