[Chugalug] Driving a 3-axis TTL stepper mounted router

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Mon Nov 18 21:31:37 UTC 2013

Friend has a router mounted in a 3 axis table, with enough circuitry to
drive steppers from TTL inputs. He was writing his own software to
drive this thing.

Friend is kind of a neat freak and doesn't like how much sawdust it
generates in his garage. I have graciously offered my workshop.

What I'd like is the quickest easiest toolchain possible to drive this
thing from Linux.

I note that Inkscape has a bunch of plug-ins which can generate gcode
toolpaths.

So I *think* that what I need is something that'll either give me a USB
parallel port, or take USB in in a way that I can feed it gcode, and
that'll give out TTL pulses.

Right now the leading choice seems to be installing
http://dank.bengler.no/-/page/show/5470_grbl on an Arduino 328.
However, if anyone has experience on setting up the full toolchain for
this, I'd like to save the couple of hundred bucks of wrong paths I'm
about to go down...

Anyone done this and got input?

Dan