[Chugalug] xp replacement

Alex Smith (K4RNT) shadowhunter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 17:22:47 UTC 2013

You should be aware that the Steam client is only officially supported on
Ubuntu (I'm not very happy about this choice, but I imagine after the Steam
PC is released that it might be expanded). I don't have any experience with
Mint, however I've heard a lot of people like it, and all the power to
them. :)

I have Xubuntu installed at home on a desktop I have set up in the living
room for common use, and nobody has had any problems with it.

I'm also working on getting my primary desktop rig expanded to a larger
power supply - I have 8x serial attached SCSI disks installed for the
system disks, and I'm trying to get it set up on a dual-boot with Ubuntu
Studio.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you have further questions, or would
like some assistance. Good luck!

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM, <basic2point0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My parents have a PC that is a few years old. If I remember right, its a
> Sempron @ around 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM. They use for getting online, my mom
> plays PopCap style games, my dad has some games on Steam - Half-Life 2 era
> and older. I’ve left it alone with XP because that's what they prefer, but
> they’ve been having software problems lately, mostly driver issues, and
> just want to be able to turn it on and use it.
>
> Anyhow.. Steam is looking pretty good on Linux, especially for the games
> my dad likes. There’s obviously plenty of games available that my mom would
> like. I just need to make the transition as easy as possible for them,
> since they don’t take change very well. I’m thinking Linux Mint with
> Cinnamon desktop, since its pretty similar to Windows. Any suggestions?

episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith (K4RNT)