[Chugalug] OT: MacBook for sale. Too cheap?

Stephen Kraus ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 16:32:29 UTC 2013

On Nov 15, 2013 11:00 AM, "Jeff Leggett" <hikerguy at jeffleggett.com> wrote:

> My 2009 17" MBP went for over $1200 this year when I upgraded to a new 15"
> MBP/Retina.  Say what you want about Apple. NO OTHER TECH HOLDS ITS VALUE
> LIKE THAT, also just yesterday got $350 for a third gen IPad when I
> upgraded to the new Air (I did include a full otterbox in that price to be
> honest).  Though I do love my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 right now, I probably
> would have gotten an iPhone if they'd every up the screen size.
>
> I travel for work to stay in Chattanooga, and no other laptop lets do
> everything I need to do for my work (Information Security), incl running
> multiple VM's, etc for the same weight.  Sure, I could drop the same amt of
> $$$ on an Alienware laptop or similar, but they WEIGH 15 frikkin lbs!  :-D
>
> We don't drink the kool aid because we're brainwashed, we drink the kool
> aid because it tastes good! (I.E. works for what we want it for)
>
>  If that's legit for $1000, but it and then resell it on Ebay for a
> profit.

Thank goodness for resale value, I'll just go visit the local laptop
dealership and trade up!

Its a computer. While the Apple name may help hold its value, its hardware
does not retain its resale value as much. Its not a car, its not like it
will forever hold value solely by its purpose alone.

"We don't drink the kool aid because we're brainwashed, we drink the kool
aid because it tastes good! (I.E. works for what we want it for)"
I like this saying, I'm going to borrow it if you don't mind :)

I can run multiple VM's on my machine too, the argument that Apple allows
you to do it is silly, because Macbooks are still just x86-64 IBM
Compatibles. You can do the same thing that you can on an Apple on ANY
x86-64 based machine. If Macbooks were still PowerPC machines, maybe this
argument might have some value, but since you are really just arguing about
a laptop that really isn't any different than any other x86-64 machine out
there beyond its external appearance and display, its a rather silly
argument.