[Chugalug] Ceylon

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Nov 15 13:47:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013, Rod wrote:
> Doesn't every new language or coding paradigm of the last 30 years have their
> buzzwords?

Sure. I fight this in religion as well as programming languages.

Thay are all usually talking about exactly the same things, artificially
seperated by a language with specific nuances and meaning attached to
words. Doctors and Lawyers do it also. As do geeks. programmers, etc..

It's how you isolate and differenciate a group of people for functional as
well as economic reasons. Once the words you are used to using mean
specific things in your context/programming language/religion/professional
group, it's hard to discuss and compare things with the infidels that do
not believe as you do and change camps.

Really good programmers see the differences and similarities between
languages and can live in multiple worlds understanding "sub =~ function"
and their small but important differences.

Hacks like me cut and paste example code until it works..

I've been in Javascript mode for 2 days.. by the end of today I'll be
pretty good at it again, but I'll forget most of it over the weekend.

Omar's going nuts trying to create JavaScript in PHP.. I grok his pain.