[Chugalug] Ceylon

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Nov 15 12:10:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013, DaWorm wrote:
> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/11/13/162230/red-hat-releases-ceylon-language-100
>
> I've been coding for over 30 years, and I have no idea what half of that description is saying.
>
> subtype and parametric polymorphism
> declaration-site variance
> intersection types
> principal types
> local type inference
> flow-dependent typing
> tuple types
> comprehensions
> fully-reified generic types
>
> I know basic polymorphism, and have heard of tuples, but otherwise, I have no idea what this does for me.  I guess I'm just too
> old.

DaWorm:
I have a fond memory of you looking at a real time stream of serial data
flowing across a serial sniffer screen and saying: "Can you put in in Hex?
It's easier to read that way."

You are not too old, but you work on a different level of problem, with a
different set of tools. As you have been isolated in a functional world
where code actually works, and must work, as opposed to an artistic world
where code should be "pretty" and "elegant". Therefore you do not grok the
obfuscated vernacular of fledgling programmers dealing with abstract
problems of an abstracted obtuse object language like Java and
JavaScript.. and now: Ceylon

Looking at: http://ceylon-lang.org/documentation/1.0/introduction/

For a guy like me, I hate the abstraction layers upon abstraction layers
steeped in non-obvious differentiations of common vernacular.

Maybe it's a fix for Healthcare.gov.. or an example of the complex
thinking that made it such a failure. I don't know.
These quote says it well:

"Ceylon is a new programming language that's deeply influenced by Java,
designed by people who are unapologetic fans of Java. It's a language
designed specifically for writing large programs in teams."

and:

"Every language has its strengths and weaknesses. Ceylon is a great
language if you want to create easily understandable and maintainable code
with minimum fuss, especially if you like navigating and writing code with
the help of an IDE."

Which to me say: It's an abstractiona layer/framework on top of Java.