[Chugalug] Server Linux Distros

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Nov 15 11:45:42 UTC 2013

Mike Harrison ┌∩┐@geeklabs.com  http://www.geeklabs.com/mike.harrison.public.key.txt
On Fri, 8 Nov 2013, Dave Brockman wrote:
> I'm confused.  Did the Linux kernel drop support for some type of
> hardware?

Sorry. must have missed this..

Yes/No. The older Intel Modular Servers have an LSI chipset that is not
properly recognized by the 3.x kernels. It gets stuck at modprobe going
nuts looking for the relevant driver. 2nd factor: There is 1+ in-house
Redhat/Fedora nutcases with some skills... Some of you met Dominic when he
was visiting. So we went Redhat for the servers. 3 licensed Redhat for the
important stuff, and 1 external facing "disposable" API/Public Interface
server running CentOS.

Except for some pain finding some odd things we needed that aren't in the
official Redhat Repo's like a php command called:  phpize
that took a while to find the right version elsewhere (thanks rpmfind
and pbone) the Redhat stuff worked pretty well. Thanks to some Oracle
crapola that requires a GUI, we had to install a GUI on the servers, which
I am not happy about. But overall, Redhat works pretty well for a server.

The official reccomendation from Intel was: Redhat is supported and tested
on that hardware, with expected long term support, and Ubuntu is not.
They suggested that I could probably work around the modprobe/driver
issue, and that a future update would make it not boot again.