[Chugalug] OT: MacBook for sale. Too cheap?

Aaron welch n2nightfall at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 20:54:24 UTC 2013

The Razer is a piece of sh!t that is useless without attaching a bunch of
accessories to it so that it is functional.  Speaking as a former owner and
current owner of the Razer Blade that is also a POS.

-AW

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Stephen Kraus <ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> you watch HD movies, they don't exceed 1080 resolution, maybe if you do
> Photoshop or CAD it MIGHT be worth it.
>
> I'm sorry, I think the Apple premium is hilarious for something I cannot
> repair myself, and the ability to customize my hardware and repair it goes
> a long way more than resale value, mainly because usually I'm not planning
> to resell my laptop like my car. If I burn out the graphics in my Dell
> Precision? I can swap in a new graphics card. If I burn it out in my HP
> Elitebook? Same thing. If the battery fails, its cheap and easy to
> purchase. If the Keyboard gets soaked by my 1 year old, its like 5 seconds
> to swap it out.
>
> Screw unibody designs, I don't know why people like them beyond the sleek
> feel, because otherwise their just a maintenance nightmare. Maybe we just
> have different interests and views, I agree, and its not like Apple Macbook
> Pros are BAD, that isn't what I'm saying, but if I had to choose between
> modular and customization and unibody and sleek, I'll take modular and
> customize-able any day. For the price
>
> If the only selling point is the screen, then I have a hard time biting
> that. For mobility I don't need that sort of resolution, but if I'm at home
> I have a 2800x1800 screen I can plug into and get that resolution.
>
> If there was ONE thing I would buy that is Unibody, I'd throw down the
> $1,500 for the Razer Edge Pro gaming Tablet:
>
> http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-edge-pro
>
> Dual Core i7 1.9Ghz - 3.0 Ghz Turbo
> 8GB DDR3 (16GB Max)
> Nvidia GT 640M 2GB w/ Intel GMA Hybrid
> 10.1" (1366x768) (Okay the Resolution isn't great)
> 128GB or 256GB SSD
> 2.1lbs
>
> That is my dream tablet, throw some Red Hat on it and dual boot with
> Windows 7 and I'm in heaven.
>

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Jason Griffey <griffey at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> It is plastic, and as Chad noted, the screen isn't even remotely close to
>> the same quality. Slightly slower clockspeed on the processor (probably not
>> enough to ever notice, but there it is). What's the battery life like? The
>> Samsung is a fine computer, but I don't think you can reasonably compare
>> the build quality to the macbook pro.
>>
>> Apple makes _fantastic_ hardware, and charges a premium for it. Their
>> hardware also retains its value over time. $1000 for that Retina Pro would
>> be an amazing deal.
>>
>> jason
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Alex Smith (K4RNT) <
>> shadowhunter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://dft.ba/-7ayU
>>>
>>> Don't know about the DPI rating, but this is the same model laptop I
>>> bought earlier this year. It's a fantastic rig.

>>> --
>>> " ' With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,
>>> the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
>>> irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and
>>> warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on we’re all
>>> damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG
>>> episode "The Drumhead"
>>> - Alex Smith (K4RNT)
>>> - Dulles Technology Corridor (Chantilly/Ashburn/Dulles), Virginia USA

Aaron Welch
Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures
423-505-9999
n2nightfall at gmail.com