[Chugalug] Small /boot partitions must go!

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Nov 12 12:56:56 UTC 2013

> +1
>
> I always assign 1gb to /boot. If it's SuSE or a SuSE variant, make it 10GB --
> enough to fit the installation dvd(s) on in a pinch. I always recommend a
> boot partition to simply troubleshooting. Have you ever tried to fix a low
> level boot problem on a machine with nothing but lvm partitioning? Fun times.

I like the "big enough to hold an installation/recovery image", I can see
where that would be useful, but what I really love about modern Linux
servers is those days are rare. I used to be able to spoon feed a
bootloader, hand recover bad inodes.. etc.. But it's been a long long time
since I had to. If I have good backups, and a slave/second master database
server with a good copy of data, I can re-install faster.

As for you LVM nightmares.. Sigh.. I let these Redhat Machines do it that
way, and I am hoping I don't regret it. A long long time ago I had had
such nightmares.