[Chugalug] Small /boot partitions must go!

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Mon Nov 11 22:36:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:
> I just wasted half a day, because some budding SysAdmin used
> advice from 1972 and made a /boot partition less than 1gb..

So the reasoning used to be that some BIOSes couldn't read more than
9MB, and then something like 512MB, and you had to have the boot
device in BIOS accessible partition space, right?

And now the reasoning is that some day you might want to encrypt the
main drive, except that you'd never do that on a server because you
want most likely it to boot unattended.

So I'm gonna go with "don't do boot partitions".

Dan