[Chugalug] Does anyone know if linux supports the DSD sound format?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sun Nov 10 10:37:45 UTC 2013

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013, Chad Smith wrote:
> I've never heard the difference in lossy or lossless file formats.  I've downloaded albums from bandcamp and
> other places in FLAC and in MP3 and in OGG - and they all sound exactly the same.

You aren't listening to  the right music, on the right gear, loud enough.

At normal background levels, 128k mp3 or ogg files sound about the same.
At high levels on good equipment, where you want to feel the base, hear
all the highs, things in the background, etc... You can tell teh
difference between 320kbps Ogg and 320kbps MP3. You need good cans
(earphones) as a minimum, or really a kick ass sound system.

Most modern systems are designed to be cute, and have built in "filtering"
and range expansion to make crappy recordings that most people have/use
sound better. I've got hearing issues and I can tell. (Too much very load
music, background noise at work and just a  few rounds of ammo.._)

And for some reason, nothing beats live in person. ;)

Which reminds me, I need a weekend home alone with the PA's hooked up,
cranking some Pink Floyd, Paul Oakenfold, Miles Davis and such from high
quality recordings. It's great therapy.