[Chugalug] [Bulk] Re: Does anyone know if linux supports the DSD sound format?

John Aldrich mrmaxx at spamcop.net
Sun Nov 10 01:13:54 UTC 2013

On Sat November 9 2013 5:56:57 PM Robert A. Kelly III wrote:

> My understanding is that there is essentially no distinguishable
> difference between DSD and PCM or between CD and SACD quality (although
> SACD supports surround sound and CD does not). MP3 is definately
> outdated at this point, Vorbis has been better than MP3 for years and at
> this point Opus is ready to replace basically all lossy audio
> compression codecs. It's definitely nice to see higher quality
> downloads. I think that a high quality Opus encoding can be essentially
> indistinguishable from the original as well, and still requires less
> storage than true lossless recordings.

Not knowing anything much about the various formats, I'll just say that I
think that once someone like Amazon starts offering higher quality formats,
then they will start to be accepted more. That being said, it may be the old
chicken/egg conundrum -- Online vendors won't start offering the higher quality
formats until people start asking for them, but people won't start asking for
/ demanding them, until SOMEONE starts offering them.