[Chugalug] Does anyone know if linux supports the DSD sound format?

Robert A. Kelly III bluethegrappler at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 22:56:57 UTC 2013

On 11/08/2013 09:55 PM, Dave Brockman wrote:
> On 11/8/2013 9:23 PM, Rod wrote:
>> Direct Stream Digital sounds very interesting.
>> http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/09/11/219727031/what-does-a-song-that-costs-5-sound-like
>
> DSD is the format Japanese SACD Audio discs are encoded in.  She has
> my vote in the war against MP3s, but I don't think the next 20 years
> are going to see much more growth in SACD than the last 20....

My understanding is that there is essentially no distinguishable
difference between DSD and PCM or between CD and SACD quality (although
SACD supports surround sound and CD does not). MP3 is definately
outdated at this point, Vorbis has been better than MP3 for years and at
this point Opus is ready to replace basically all lossy audio
compression codecs. It's definitely nice to see higher quality
downloads. I think that a high quality Opus encoding can be essentially
indistinguishable from the original as well, and still requires less
storage than true lossless recordings.