[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi on track to sell more units than Apple II computers

Unkmar unkmar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 05:00:44 UTC 2013

On Nov 6, 2013 12:08 PM, "Chad Smith" <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have family members that got tablets in the last year or so and almost
never touch their laptops anymore.  Between their tablet and their
smartphone, they have no need for the PC.

Not quite true for my family.

> For people who are only into casual use of their computers - media
consumption, casual games, social networking, etc. - the PC is already dead.

> The reason tablets and smartphones are able to be so useful is because of
the cloud.  For a lot of the apps - the bulk of the work is done somewhere
else - the media is stored online and streamed to the device (Pandora,
YouTube, Netflix) for example.

Even my smartphone would be pointless to me without its local computing
power and storage. I sometimes program for my phone, with my phone, and on
my phone, sans keyboard and mouse.

> I think the next big thing for mobile devices will be more a VNC type
model - something like OnLive ( onlive.com ) or CloudOn ( cloudon.com )...
 Yes, OnLive failed at first, and may not ever really recover - but that
wasn't because the model was bad, it was because of mismanagement.

> But the idea of having your mobile device basically serve as a thin
client to a much more powerful computer - I think that's going to be one of
the things that makes the traditional PC obsolete.  If I can carry a $50
device in my pocket, and pay... idk... $50 a year? ... to have access to a
portion of a supercomputer... and the interface works with my hardware....
 Why wouldn't I do that?

> Yes, there are security issues - but for the vast majority of users... If
the broadband is there, why not use it?

Exactly! If! And it isn't. It is very easy for most of us to forget that we
live in a fairly privileged area. However, some of us still interact with
the rest of the world.
My vacation to the smokies was a brutal reminder of how primitive many
places are. I was frequently with emergency only phone service, 911.
Ironically, I had data and Skype worked. My cell service was sporadic and
unreliable. We stayed at a place that provided WiFi access. It felt like my
connection to the router was propagated via smoke signals, backed by
carrier pigeons on a windy day. Good network speeds when the smoke could be
seen or the pigeons could get through the windy fog. I was getting spotty
bursting traffic. Great one moment, gone the next. nearly instant loud of a
page. Other times nothing came through at all.

I don't want my crap in the cloud except as a backup. And only them if I
control the keys and have the important data properly locked away.

Lucius L. Hilley III