[Chugalug] Laptop Alternatives

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Nov 8 15:03:06 UTC 2013

> What kinds of tweaks are you doing to get your awesome machine from FOSS on your mac?

the usuals: Libreoffice, Gimp, Inkscape...

plus things I like: joe (editor), mtr, nmap, sniffit and a bunch of other
things (I have forgotten all of them) either from source or
http://www.macports.org/

Be careful with MacPorts, you can go overboard and install too much
crapola and make things weird.

Viscosity as an OpenVPN client rocks, and Synergy allows me to slave a
real Linux (bodhi) system. Not quite FOSS.. but good things.

Except for the business stuff I need to do, (convert spreadsheets, etc..)
I use it like a Linux system: Lots of terminal windows and web browsers.
The Apple mail client is pretty darn good, but I still like Pine on Linux.