[Chugalug] Laptop Alternatives

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Nov 8 15:03:06 UTC 2013

> What kinds of tweaks are you doing to get your awesome machine from FOSS on your mac?

the usuals: Libreoffice, Gimp, Inkscape...

plus things I like: joe (editor), mtr, nmap, sniffit and a bunch of other
things (I have forgotten all of them) either from source or

Be careful with MacPorts, you can go overboard and install too much
crapola and make things weird.

Viscosity as an OpenVPN client rocks, and Synergy allows me to slave a
real Linux (bodhi) system. Not quite FOSS.. but good things.

Except for the business stuff I need to do, (convert spreadsheets, etc..)
I use it like a Linux system: Lots of terminal windows and web browsers.
The Apple mail client is pretty darn good, but I still like Pine on Linux.