[Chugalug] Laptop Alternatives

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Thu Nov 7 23:10:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013, Phil Sieg wrote:
> I love the "idea" of abandoning my laptop, unfortunately I believe we
> are years from that reality.
>
> The "killer" piece of gear would be a tablet/detachable keyboard combo that operates with a Tablet interface when it is "sans" keyboard, and operates with a desktop interface once keyboard is attached.

I thought my Asus Transformer would be that piece of gear..
not even close. Too limiting for much beyond email.

I hate to admit it, but the Mac Pro tweaked out with some Linux-ish FOSS
goodness is an awesome machine for a portable business power user AND
Linux developer. The polish and usability of the Linux desktop ecosystem is a
fragmented disaster in comparison. Although I still like my
Enlightenment/Bodhi system for serious work. It runs best on a real
laptop/desktop system.