[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi on track to sell more units than Apple II computers

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 7 14:26:40 UTC 2013

Quoting Phil Sieg <phil.sieg at gmail.com>:

> Ok I need to jump in to the latter part of this discussion regarding
>  moving from a laptop to a ?tablet?, and vast number of consumers
> doing this...
>
> I am trying to make this move personally. I have a maxed out iPad
> mini with a fantastic bluetooth KB case from Zagg. Everything is
> just lovely as long as I have access to fast internet.
>
> As a frequent traveler I often do NOT have access to quality internet.
>
> Here are just a few of the problems that occur:
>
> 1. I made a new hotel reservation that needs to be printed out. I am
>  in a hotel and their printers are not ?air-print?. If I could just
> get my email to turn into a .pdf and be on a thumb drive I could
> then hand it to the hotel clerk and say ?print?. Try this process
> with an iPad sometime and count the steps and need for an internet
> connection. Sometimes these are hard to come by in
> China/Philippines/Banana Republic etc?. And without a printed plane
> ticket or reservation you may find it impossible to do things like
> take a ferry from mainland China to the Airport in Hong Kong.
>
> 2. A real ?File System? where my hundreds of business docs, spreads
> etc can be logically organized, and then easily accessed through
> local storage.
>
> 3. a way to get anything onto my iPad with iTunes or the internet. I
>  bought a wifi thumb drive from sandisk that is way cool and cheap
> that helps, but is still problematic without an accessible
> hierarchical filesystem that allows ?drag and drop?
>
> These are but a fraction of the reasons I am finding it impossible
> to abandon my laptop.
>
> Since every flight I get to China is full both ways and I go 4 times
>  a year, I do not think that business travelers such as myself are a
>  minority.
>
> My iPad is great for reading and creating emails, and for ebooks and
>  streaming video. If you need much more than that it becomes a LOT
> harder to use than any laptop with any OS.

Phil:
Just playing "Devil's Advocate" here, but why not buy a portable
printer with a connection that your iPad has or bluetooth? Yeah, a lot
of printers these days have bluetooth connections. Granted, we're
talking the "ultra-portable" printers so trying to print on an 8.5x11
sheet of paper is probably a non-starter, but at least you can print a
boarding pass, etc.