[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi on track to sell more units than Apple II computers

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 01:01:16 UTC 2013

So a super-computer array of servers is a PC - if they are using x86-64
CPUs?

If so, then the PC is not going to die any time soon.

I think that is *your* definition of a PC, and a fine one at that.  But it
isn't the same definition everyone is using when they talk about the "Death
of the PC".  Usually (and everyone is different, so this is not universally
the case) they are talking about a Desktop or a Laptop - regardless of CPU,
so an Apple ][ would count, and so would an iBook, and so would an ARM
netbook running some form of Linux.

The distinction is being drawn between a PC and a Tablet.  So - to me, that
indicates they are referring mainly to the form factor, not the CPU.  The
other distinction - and one you seem to be referring to when you mention
the CPU - is the OS.  Windows/OS X/Desktop Linux vs. iOS/Android/etc..

The problem is - Android can run on x86-64, what about Chrome?  or an XP
phone?  And where does Windows 8 RM fit?

I know you've answered some of those questions for your own understanding
of it, and reasoning for it.  But I think your definition being different
from the people making those claims is one of the main reasons you think
it's a silly thought, and they don't.

If you defined PC the same way they are using it, then it might not be so
unreasonable to think of the PC as dying.

And, as we've discussed before - a format being "Dead" doesn't mean it's no
longer used by anyone anywhere.

Betamax is dead - and so is VHS for that matter - but people still use
both.  8-Tracks, LPs, cassettes, floppy discs... SCSI drives.... Windows
95....  All "Dead" - but not completely removed from existence.

(The office where I used to work had a Windows 95 machine running up until
2010.)

*- Chad W. Smith*